An approach to sight-reading based on self-learning and recognition of rhythmic and melodic patterns. Original melodies instead of abstract sight-reading exercises. 214 gradually increasing pieces of music in a variety of musical styles. 8 chapters, starting with melodies on open strings up to pieces in the 3rd position. Each chapter ends with a series of duets and accompanying pieces to practice sight-reading with others. The melodies increase up to keys with 3 sharps 3 flats. Easy to moderate.
Published by Schott Music, edited by Rodger Smith.
- To the Student: Why sight-reading?
- Part 1: Open Strings, Solos, Duets, Accompanied Pieces
- Part 2: Open Strings in Mixed Time, Solos, 1st Finger, Duets, Acc. Pieces
- Part 3: Intro to the 2nd Finger, Solos, Duets, Acc. Pieces
- Part 4: Intro to 3rd Finger in Major Keys, Solos, Duets, Acc. Pieces
- Part 5: Keys: F major, Bb major, and Eb major, Solos, Duets, Acc. Pieces
- Part 6: Rhythms and Slurs, Solos, Intro to Minor Keys, Duets, Acc. Pieces
- Part 7: Counting Eighth Notes in 3/8 Time, Solos, Duets, Acc. Pieces
- Part 8: Compound Time, Solos, Duets, Acc. Pieces